Henschke's Lenswood vineyard in the Adelaide Hills

Saturday 13 August 2011

Allandale, Cabernet Sauvignon (2008)

Hilltops, NSW
16%, screwcap, non organic, around $25
http://www.allandalewinery.com.au/

Deep purple/crimson. Cedary nose with hints of blackberry and some nettle. The palate had good line, was very focused and quite luscious. Cedar and blackberry played out on the palate with American oak influence all in balance. Amazingly, I could not detect the incredibly high alcohol at all. Refreshing acidity at the finish. Needed a bit more time in the cellar - 94. 

I have been inspired to make a confession following Andrew Graham's recent admission that he has more cabernet/cab blends in his cellar than any other variety. Shiraz is easily the most common variety in my cellar. Cabernet would be the second most common variety for reds. But, I have come to the realisation that I have probably tended to under score varietally correct cabernets as a result of this bias. It's a bias that I'm working on. Watch this space.      

No comments:

Post a Comment