Henschke's Lenswood vineyard in the Adelaide Hills

Saturday 10 December 2011

Scarpantoni, Block 3 Shiraz (2004)

McLaren Vale, South Australia
14.5%, cork, around $35
www.scarpantoniwines.com

Deep red. With a deceptively shy nose of plums, earth and smokey scents, this wine's bouquet was the equivalent of a wedding veil. As the veil was removed upon tasting, the overwhelming beauty and sheer power immediately became overwhelming. Its best feature by far was its elegant and silky smooth palate of intense red fruits, perfectly supported by oak, fine tannins and refreshing acidity, all in balance. Impressive structure. Medium bodied.

As if on a blind date with a stunning beauty (you know they type - they look like models and being in their presence overwhelms the nerves), I found myself mincing my words, placing ridiculously large chunks of food in my mouth and slurping away without control.

Despite this not being a blind date, it did feel like a one night stand and ever since I have been drowning in regret that I only bought one bottle all those years ago. That solitary bottle had been lying in my temperature controlled cellar for quite some time. The back label recommended that it could be consumed over 10-15 years from vintage. Having had eight years, this wine still had plenty of life. What a sensational wine - 96.   

No comments:

Post a Comment